18 Mar Outliers, Tow Yard, Books & Brews breweries to open in Indy, Fishers Friday
Posted at 18:45h in Books & Brews, Indiana Beer News, Outliers Brewing Co, Tow Yard Brewing Co., Uncategorized 0 Comments
By Chris Sikich of the Indianapolis Star
Three breweries will join the Indianapolis metro area’s booming craft beer scene Friday and Saturday.
Here are details about what’s happening this weekend:
- Location: 534 E. North St., Indianapolis.
- Beers: Buffalo Jacket India Pale Ale, County Brown, Whitcomb Rye and Blau Machen Pilsner.
- Grand opening: The brewery will be open for carryout grower sales during a grand opening from 4-7 p.m. Friday.
- Owner: Ted Miller also operates Brugge Brasserie, a Belgian-style brewpub in Broad Ripple. He plans to use Outliers beer to supplement brews at Brugge and at Park Street, the restaurant that will share Outliers’ North Street building.
- Fun fact: Miller got his start in Indiana at the Broad Ripple Brew Pub, where he was head brewer from 1990-94.
- Find out more: Check Outliers’ homepage, Facebook and Twitter.
Tow Yard Brewing
- Location: 501 S. Madison St. in the former Chateau Thomas location.
- Grand opening: Doors open March 21; Details are being planned for a formal event in coming weeks.
- Hours: 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Monday through Thursday; 11 a.m. to 1 a.m. Friday and Saturday, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday.
- Beers: Emerald Circle Indiana Pale Ale, Goldie Hops Golden Ale, Hook It Up Shandler.
- The brewery: Tow Yard will serve a menu of burgers, sandwiches, soups and salads in a building with large industrial garage doors, ample outdoor seating and a view of Lucas Oil Stadium.
- Brewer: Bradley Zimmerman will be the head brewer. He formerly worked as an assistant at Big Time Brewery & Alehouse and Elysian Brewing Co., both in Seattle.
- Owners: Jason West, Shawn Cannon and Mike DeWeese.
- Quote: “We’re doing the craft beer experience better,” said DeWeese, Tow Yard Brewing director of distribution. “We’re giving people a place to sit down, hang out and eat some great local food while taking in some Indiana state and Indiana beer history.”
- Find out more: Check out Tow Yard’s homepage, Facebook and Twitter.
Books & Brews
- Location: 9402 Uptown Drive, Suite 1400, Indianapolis.
- Grand opening: 5 to 10 p.m. March 21. Whiskey Verbena will perform at 8 p.m. $2.
- Beers: Owner Jason Wuerfel plans to run the gamut on beer styles but has a special affinity for European beers, including dry Irish stouts, brown English ales and Irish reds.
- Business model: Wuerfel will operate a used-book store in the front of the store and the nanobrewery on a 1-barrel system in the back. He will offer about 10 taps in the bar area, with live music Friday nights and Sunday afternoons.
- Fun Fact: A former collegiate baseball player and English major at the University of Michigan, Wuerfel also is a co-owner — along with his parents — of a Frontier League baseball team called the Traverse City Beach Bums.