23 Feb Black Acre’s Sour Night leaves anything but a sour note to all in attendance
A sour mood. To sour one’s opinion. Sour grapes. To hit a sour note. When we think of the word sour, the connotations tend to be overwhelmingly negative. Not so the second night of Black Acre’s anniversary party. With seven different sour beers on tap, five of them their own creations, sour night definitely didn’t leave a bad taste in anyone’s mouth.
On Wednesday night, the funk showed up in a big way at Black Acre. For sour-themed night during their week-long anniversary party, the Irvington brewery showcased the wilder side of beer, and judging from the size of the crowds, people were loving it.
I went with a flight to sample all seven of the evening’s offerings, listed below. At first sip, each of Black Acre’s sours were very clean, classic takes on the sour beer genre. Once they were allowed to warm up a bit, the different flavors and characteristics of each were out in full force. The Boysenberry Fritz was fantastic – the berry flavor on the back end of this beer was a very nice touch. The Gin Barrel Aged Ol’ Fritz was good cold, and phenomenal closer to room temperature. Letting the beer sit in the glass for a minute really gave the gin barrel aging a chance to shine.
- Mixed Berry Fritz: Ol’ Fritz Berliner Weisse aged in oak barrels and fermented with brett brux and fresh mixed berries. 5 IBU, 4% ABV
- Boysenberry Fritz: Ol’ Fritz Berliner Weisse aged in oak barrels and fermented with brett brux and fresh boysenberries. 5 IBU, 4% ABV
- Grape Chard Sour Blonde: Street Lamp Blonde aged in chardonnay barrels and fermented with roeselare lambic blend and grape must. 20 IBU, 5.6% ABV
- House Sour Blonde: Street Lamp Blonde aged in oak barrels and fermented with house blend of pediococcus, lactobacillus, and brett yeast. 20 IBU, 5.6% ABV
- Hamajang: Blend of Leelenau Innovator Man, and American wild ale with strawberries by Jolly Pumpkin & Evil Twin and Sea Buckthorn Fandango, an American wild ale with sea buckthorn juice by Jolly Pumpkin and Mikkeller. 5.8% ABV
- Cuvee Des Jacobins Rouge: A flemish sour ale brewed by Brouwerij Dmer Vander Ghinste in Belgium. 5.5 ABV
JenniferPosted at 13:24h, 24 February